Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pitt MLIS first visit


The MLIS Cohort 10 met in person for the first time on Friday and Saturday at the University of Pittsburgh campus. This was quite a treat -- it brought everything home. The experience really did connect our virtual learning environment with the traditional, physical learning structure, and being on campus made me feel part of the campus.

Here is a picture, taken from Google Images, of the Information School building on Bellefield Avenue. The poured concrete building has architectural flaws, in both design and function, but that's okay. It was built in 1962, we were told, and is in the Brutalist style.

The other part about being a Pitt student is the education is in Pittsburgh, probably one of my favorite US cities. I was introduced to Pittsburgh last year when I went there to attend a wedding, and I was impressed with the city. Cool vibe, energy, pace, and people. I was happy to return this year and I liked it even more. I went to the highest floor in the Cathedral of Learning (36th?), and walked around campus.



Here is a shot of the Oakland neighborhood, where the Pitt campus is, in P-Town.


No comments:

Post a Comment