Thursday, July 15, 2010

time management skillz needed

Oh how I've got so much to do. I've got like three part-time activities going right now, which is the equivalent of one and a half jobs. I either need some time management advice, less commitments, or a drug that turns me into a machine so I can just do things one after the other.

My occupations right now are a media policy fellowship, graduate school (MLIS program) and serving on the board of directors for a nonprofit organization. All of which require a combination of reading, research, writing, travel, networking and a lot of e-mailing.

So in that spirit, here are some time management tips from the Mayo Clinic, abridged:

  • Plan each day.
  • Prioritize your tasks.
  • Say no to nonessential tasks.
  • Delegate.
  • Take the time you need to do a quality job.
  • Break large, time-consuming tasks into smaller tasks.
  • Practice the 10-minute rule.
  • Evaluate how you're spending your time.
  • Limit distractions.
  • Get plenty of sleep, have a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
  • Take a time management course.
  • Take a break when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment